31 July 2007

On movies...

The earlier post about Click got me thinking about movies some more, and I realized something: Generally speaking, I don't take movies seriously enough to dislike them.

I think this is a specific application of my dad's equation S=R/E (satisfaction equals reality over expectations). When you take something seriously, your expectations tend to rise, and if the reality of the experience isn't sufficently high, satisfaction drops. But if you don't take the film too seriously, you're more apt to enjoy it...

I think it's also a specific application of my preference for imperfectionism.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dan: in other words, you don't expect a lot or have high expectations for any movies, so as a result , you are never disappointed and always satisfied (reasonably satisfied) with all the movies you see..... good use of the formula: S= R/E.... good job....Dad