07 July 2007

I Love Being A Writer

I love being a writer. Holy cow, I love being a writer.

I'm still not quite finished with the 3rd Boomer Sisters book, although it's coming along well (it's the "getting up early to write" part that's tricky). I just finished writing a scene that was never part of the original plan... but it fits perfectly with some other stuff that happens a chapter earlier (which was also not part of my original outline). I didn't realize how it fit until after I'd written it. It's completely unintentional foreshadowing, and it really works nicely. It looks like I planned it, but I didn't. It's just magic - a total surprise. I love being a writer.

I recently read an article titled How To Write Like Tom Robbins (the author of Half Asleep In Frog Pajamas, among other books). Apparently, he writes his books one sentence at a time. Yes, we all do that, but he really does it. As in, he doesn't have an outline, he doesn't have a plot in mind... he just writes an interesting sentence, then follows it with another interesting sentence, and so on, until the book is done. My experience with unintentional foreshadowing makes me believe that Tom Robbins' approach is possible (not that I'm likely to try it any time soon).

Also, as I already mentioned to several of you, I was recently interviewed on North Country Public Radio. The interview runs about 6 minutes (wow!), and the topic is my Boomer Sisters books. I mostly discussed the second one (The Boomer Sisters Meet Champy), but also mentioned B1 and B3. You can hear the interview here.

Did I mention I love being a writer?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you being a writer too!

Gabe said...

Writing one sentence at a time is very similar to improv comedy (my favorite type). Those that perform Improv well abide by the rule that you never negate the previous persons statement. You just accept it and add to it. This concept is what adds humor to the comedy. The real masters know how to add just the right, random, oddball stuff to the previous stuff (even if they aren't linked at all) generating all kinds of hillarity.