23 February 2007

Radical Elements


Most of you probably know that my first book was titled The Radical Elements of Radical Success. It took me 5 years (and lots of early mornings) to write it, and I'm proud of how it turned out, for the most part. At the same time, I have to admit having some mixed feelings about it.

See, I'm not a big fan of the "success-lit" genre, as a genre. I think most of the books in that genre are pretty stupid, vacuous, pointless, selfish, etc. So, sometimes I feel a little funny about having contributed to that genre... a bit of guilt by association.

Of course, it helps that Gilbert magazine's book reviewer wrote "it counteracts so much of the nonsense in the genre." That was indeed the point. But even though I took conventional success-lit and stood it on it's head (the opening line is "There's something I should tell you before we begin: I don't know the secret to success. Frankly, I'm not sure such a thing exists, but if it does, you definitely won't find it here."), it still feels a bit weird. I think that's why I've moved on to children's novels and Christian short stories.

No comments: