28 February 2006

What I'm Reading

OK, time for a quick look at some of the stuff I'm filling my brain with:

GK Chesterton's Collected Works, Vol XX - This one contains a travelogue of his trips to the US and Rome. It's fascinating to see a British journalist (from early 1900's) give his impressions of this country. Quite insightful into our national character, and strikingly still relevant & accurate...

The Man Who Knew Too Much, by G.K. Chesterton. A collection of short detective stories - quite good!

Military Mavericks, by David Rooney. Thanks to Kevin for passing this one my way. Short historical vignettes about military men who think & act & fight a bit differently than the rest (think Lawrence of Arabia).

Rough Riders, by Theodore Roosevelt. This guy was absolutely the best president ever, in my opinion. His first-hand account of his adventures with the Rough Riders is brilliant & moving.

And I just finished At The Back Of The North Wind, by George MacDonald. Pretty amazing Victorian fairytale novel about a kid who meets the incarnation of the North Wind... I won't spoil the ending by telling you what her other name is.

And as always there's an assortment of blogs, websites, WIRED magazine...

How about you? What's on your reading list these days?

No comments: